Published by O’Brien Press, Wild Food is a wonderful collaboration between Evan Doyle:
The BrookLodge Hotel at Macreddin Village and Biddy White Lennon: food journalist and writer. The BrookLodge is home to The Strawberry Tree Restaurant. Its Kitchens, have been harvesting and presenting wild foods daily on its menu since 1988 and this year celebrates its twenty-fifth anniversary. The Strawberry Tree also hosts Irelands only walk in Wild-Food Pantry for its Guests, but more importantly for its Chefs! This is the first time, that Evan Doyle has put together the knowledge and the recipes gathered from over a quarter of a century of using these wild foods.
Wild Food is a fantastic new guide to foraging which reveals the secrets of how to identify, pick, preserve and cook the most common wild foods that grow in our hedgerows and woodlands and on our hillsides and seashores. Packed with helpful tips and advice on gathering, preparing and cooking foraged foods, this combined field guide and cookbook was inspired by the growing interest in wild food and foraging in Ireland today and is the perfect introduction to harvesting nature’s bounty. Includes:
- Where to look, what it looks like, how to pick
- A guide to foraging through the seasons: nettle, dillisk, carrageen, garlic, sea beet, samphire, St George’s mushrooms, sorrel, hawthorn, elderflower, sea lettuce, strawberries, chanterelles, bilberries, field mushrooms, blackberries, damsons, ceps, elderberries, hazelnuts, rose hips, sloes and more
- How to prepare and preserve your foraged finds
- Over 60 delicious recipe ideas, including dozens of unpublished recipes from The Strawberry Tree at The BrookLodge Hotel
- Traditional uses for common wild foods
- Great gift ideas for family & friends and lots more
We can arrange for one to be sent to you by post, just give us a call at BrookLodge on 0402-36444 and we can pop one in the post to you.